We were the engineer or constructor for more than 35,000 megawatts of nuclear power; our staff has accomplished thousands of life-extension modifications for more than 100 operating units; and we have established a comprehensive and responsive maintenance program for nuclear plants.
URS has provided planning, engineering or construction services for virtually every nuclear power plant operating in the United States today, including environmental studies, siting and licensing services.
Operating in a joint venture with AREVA Group, we are one of only two major U.S. companies providing construction support services for large component replacements, such as steam generators and reactor vessel heads for the commercial nuclear market. Our joint venture, SGT, has been recognized for award-winning performance under the most aggressive project schedules during outages.
Some of SGT’s recent awards include:
- Power magazine’s Top Plant of 2009 and Power Engineering magazine’s Best Nuclear Project of 2009 for the steam generator replacements at Pacific Gas & Electric's Diablo Canyon Unit 1.
- Power magazine’s Top Plant of 2008 and Power Engineering magazine’s Best Nuclear Project of 2008 for the major component replacements at Florida Power & Light's St. Lucie Unit 2.
- Power Engineering magazine’s 2006 Nuclear Project of the Year for the steam generator replacement at Entergy’s Arkansas Nuclear One.
- 2006 Platts Global Energy Award winner for the Engineering-News Record/McGraw-Hill Energy Construction Project of the Year for the steam generator replacement at AmerenUE’s Callaway Plant Unit 1.
- Power Engineering magazine’s 2005 Best Nuclear Project for the reactor vessel head placement at Florida Power & Light’s Turkey Point Units 3 & 4.
Click here to view our Beyond-Design-Basis External Events Readiness Brochure (PDF).